Creating Dynamic Web Pages (ZOPE)

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Fri Jun 7 16:48:37 EDT 2002

"Hugh Cowan" <hwcowan at hotmail.com> wrote ...
> Hello,
>
> I am not exactly sure where to post this question -- the only
> reference that I could find for ZOPE in the Newsgroups is here.  I
> appologize if this is not the correct place.
>
> I have the situation where I need to create a simple Intranet for my
> company to display dynamic / data driven web-pages.  We are running a
> Windows NT network with MS-SQL Server and IIS.
>
> I had originally thought of using ASP (Server Side Scripting) to
> generate the dynamic web-pages.  While I know how to create the
> Intranet using ASP, I have yet to find any RAD type Web-Tools that
> will allow me to quickly and easily generate the ASP pages required,
> and I don't fancy using the Notepad approach either.
>
> My scenario is typical where I need to put together a company Intranet
> with a few front end Web-Pages where users can select information,
> various links, and enter search criteria.  The information is then
> retrieved from the MS-SQL Server and the results are sent back to the
> user.  It's nothing fancy, no shopping carts, or remembering sessions
> states, etc.. just really a simple front-end interface for
> non-technical people to easily retrieve information.
>
> I don't know if ZOPE would fit my situation or not.  I know that it is
> / can be used to create complex E-commerce sites, but I am wondering
> if it is overkill for what I need done.  Would I be better off trying
> to find some sort of RAD Web Tool instead (anyone have any good
> suggestions) ?

At the risk of sounding like a heretic...

I recently started to use DreamWeaver UltraDev (one of my clients mandated
its use) and I've been relatively impressed. For a really small
database-driven web created in DreamWeaver take a look at

    http://www.holdenweb.com/TinySite/

This web has precisely four pages, and I built it to explain to beginners
how database contents can affect a site's navigation as well as its readable
content.

DreamWeaver MX is now out, and targets several more backends. It would be
nice if it had one that drove some suitable Python framework -- possibly
WebWare.

If you are already familiar with ASP, this will get you up to speed on your
tasks much more quickly than learning Zope. Won't be as much fun, though.

regards
 Steve
Steve Holden                                 http://www.holdenweb.com/
Python Web Programming                http://pydish.holdenweb.com/pwp/