Standalone Win32 wxPython apps?

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Sat Mar 9 22:30:00 EST 2002

I'm considering writing a wxWindows app for Win32.  The only
way I'm willing to do this is by doing all of the development
under Unix, and then grit my teeth while I package up the final
product for Win32.

I've already got a command-line application that runs under
Win32/Cygwin/Unix, but it far too small, quick, and efficient.
In order to alleviate those problems, I need to stick on a
hard-to-use GUI to make the program comfortable for windows
users.

In order for it to be useful, I'll need to be able to
distribute it as a stand-alone app to users who don't have (or
care to have) a regular Python or wxWindows distro installed.

Optimally, it would be a single "exe" file that doesn't require
any installation procedure.  If that's not possible, it would
be permissible to use a typical "isntall-wizard" type
installation: running the exe installs the required files
somewhere, adds a start-menu entry, leaves an un-installer
around.

It looks like Gordon McMillan's installer might fit the bill.

Anybody care to share any experiences distributing wxWindows
apps for Win32?

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Clear the
                                  at               laundromat!! This