Datagrid-Widget for Python?

Tim Gahnström /Bladerman tim at bladerman.com
Tue Apr 8 05:38:59 EDT 2003

"Rainer Klueting" <rainer.klueting at epost.de> wrote in

> I'm just learning Python; I dropped onto it about a week ago and had
> the strong impression that it might be what I was looking for. :-)

You were probably right there :-)

> I had already seen that there is another GUI toolkit called wxWindow,
> and I even had downloaded it. But my impression was, that Tkinter is
> kind of a GUI-standard for Python, and I tried to stick to the
> standard.

> Is that true? Do you have any information about how widespread the use
> of wxWindows is? I don't want to steer into a dead-end-road.

My feeling is that tkinter is a little more widspread since it is in the
distribution but I am not sure.
Have a look at this thread ,or search google groups for tkinter wxPython and
you will find a lengthy discussion about wich one is the best.
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=sv&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&threadm=mailman.
980465131.18622.python-list%40python.org&rnum=2&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Dsv%26lr%
3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26q%3Dtkinter

My personal feelig without having used anyone much is that tkinter is more
"scriptic"  and not as good looking as wxPython wich seems more robust and
always uses native OS widgets.
None is "native python" (whatever that is) but relies on underlying librarys
(tcl/tk and wxWindows). tkinter is probably mor easy to make crossplattform
since it is already in all distributions but now I am in way over my head
and will stop rambling :-)

wxPython is most likely not a dead end anyway.

Tim