Extending Python Syntax with @

Josiah Carlson jcarlson at nospam.uci.edu
Fri Mar 19 03:34:05 EST 2004

>>Personally, I find most standard IDEs to be bloated pieces of shit.
>>When did it become reasonable to need 100+ megs to edit source code?
>
> Not all IDEs are this large.  For instance, Apple's Project Builder
> (version 2.1) is 2.6 MB, while the Mac version of CodeWarrior Pro 8 is
> 9.9 MB.  These sizes are just the executables, and don't include
> compilers, linkers, libraries, headers, documentation and examples.  But
> you would need all these things for a command line based development
> environment.

I never said /all/, I said /most/.

In the same vein as your reply, a standard Python install is somewhere
around 30 megs and includes Idle (not quite an IDE, but it gets the job
done).  DJGPP (a c/c++ compiler for dos) is also around 30 megs
installed, and includes an IDE, compiler, linker, libaries, headers, etc.

However, if we were to take a look at some standard tools that current
university students and even a measurable portion of industry
professionals use; Eclipse, MS Visual Studio, and others, you'll note
the tendency of bloat.

  - Josiah