Extending Python Syntax with @

Russell Wallace wallacethinmintr at eircom.net
Fri Mar 19 09:18:18 EST 2004

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 12:58:03 -0500, "John Roth"
<newsgroups at jhrothjr.com> wrote:

>Well, two points. First, why does it have to be a "fancy"
>tool? The only editors I use basically have syntax highlighting
>and code folding (at least, I think that's what it's called.)
>There are a lot of other features I'd like to have, but I'm not
>about to spend time with a learning curve that needs a full
>mountaineering outfit to scale.

Well then we're agreed, neither of us uses fancy tools :) (Don't know
what code folding is, but I also like syntax highlighting.)

>Second, what is it about which tools that you don't like?
>Be specific, I'm sure that at least some of the tool vendors
>would like feedback on their pride and joy.

I wouldn't imagine any of them read comp.lang.python, but the main
point is that basic functionality needs to be smooth, fast, 100%
reliable, not needing you to take your hands off the keyboard or
provide more than 2 keystrokes per operation or install third party
libraries or entrust your source code to a binary database, etc etc.
Get hold of Brief (the 1980s-vintage DOS programming editor) and get
to the point where you can do everything it does, not necessarily in
the same way, but just as smoothly and easily. _Then_ worry about
whiz-bang features.

--
"Sore wa himitsu desu."
To reply by email, remove