building Python under Services for Unix (SFU)

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Mar 16 02:34:10 EST 2004

Mike Maxwell wrote:
> I think the moral of the story for Microsoft is that they have some
> work to do to make SFU a competitor.  At least that's my view; I may
> be missing something.

Certainly: The Interix subsystem is just one part of SFU, other parts
being the servers (NFS, NIS, etc). Those have no competition from
Cygwin.

As for the Python port to Interix: Somebody would have to contribute
the port to Python (sf.net/projects/python), just as people had to
actively contribute a cygwin port (and that was not easy to write,
either). Whether it is Microsoft's job to make this contribution
is debatable.

Regards,
Martin