2.3.3 on Solaris 10

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Mar 16 02:52:06 EST 2004

J.D. Bronson wrote:
> I am having trouble compiling python (from src) on Solaris 10 beta and
> was wondering if someone can help me?
[...]
> Any ideas?

Yes, but we need your help to make the necessary corrections.

It is quite unclear what precisely the compiler error message is
complaining about, as the particular line (complexobject.c:469)
is expanded through multiple levels of macros.

Please do the following to narrow the source of the problem:

1. Compile the particular file with --save-temps:

gcc -c -fno-strict-aliasing -DNDEBUG -g -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes
-I. -I./Include  -DPy_BUILD_CORE -o Objects/complexobject.o
Objects/complexobject.c --save-temps

2. Remove all # (line) directives from complexobject.i (alternatively,
use -P for preprocessing - I couldn't make it work here, though)

grep -v "^#" complexobject.i >complexobject.ii
mv complexobject.ii complexobject.i

3. Compile the file again:

gcc -c -fno-strict-aliasing -g -O3 -Wall complexobject.i

4. Read the line containing the error. If it consists of multiple
statements, break those into multiple lines, one per statement,
and compile again.

5. If it then is not apparent what the problem is, post the
fragment of the preprocessor output, along with the (updated)
error message.

Regards,
Martin