Need advice on choosing skills.

Randall Smith randall at tnr.cc
Sat Mar 20 18:30:55 EST 2004

When I had been programming for a few years, I realised that as much as
a love to learn, I can only explore and be proficient at a limited
subset of technologies.  I explored different languages to use for
general purpose programming including C, C++, Java, Perl, Ruby, and
Python.  Of those languages, I chose to focus on Python because of many
reasons including clean design, high productivity, and an intelligent,
helpful community.  My choice was against the grain of popularity as C++
and Java are often touted as the 'Enterprise' languages.  One of my
friends thinks I'm wasting my talent learning and using smallish
technologies.  Example: "Why learn PHP, Python, GTK, ... when you can
just learn Java".  J2EE, .NET, WebSphere, etc, are quite prevelant in
the bussiness world and sometimes I question my choice to focus on
Python because there do not seem to be many opportunities to use it in
the business world.  I really love the language and enjoy programming
with it much more than others, but should I be learning other
technologies? J2EE? WebSphere?  I realize that I should use the best
tool for the job at hand and that is not what I'm talking about.  I
don't plan on writing a device driver in Python.

The big question.  In the limited time I have, what technologies would
you suggest I learn and why?  I realize the question 'Depends' on many
factors.  If it helps, I'm not money-hungry.  I simply want to be
productive, help others with my skills, and make choices that are good
for the computing world at large.

Randall