[OT] Top posting is a PITA

Michael mogmios at mlug.missouri.edu
Wed Mar 31 18:25:34 EST 2004

>I find it surprising to see programmers arguing for top-posting.  They
>are arguing that exchanging the single author's time and brain cycles
>for the time and cycles of many readers is a good trade-off.  Perhaps
>they just feel their time is infinitely more valuable than anyone
>else's.  I'm sure every top-poster present can think of vendors who
>work from the point of view that their time and effort is more
>valuable than the user's.  The result of this philosophy is alienating
>to users of software AND articles.

I follow more than 300 mailing lists on a regular basis (I get around 3
gigs of mail a day just from these lists) and I much prefer people that
top-post. I can click through messages with interesting topics and skim
the relevant text without having to scroll anything down. So IMO it's
more about saving the readers effort than saving the poster effort.

Of course the only people I really hate are those that quote text
without quoting it.. so it's all on the same level and you can't tell
what they wrote from what others have written. THAT drives me nuts.