[OT] Top posting is a PITA

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Mar 31 11:29:13 EST 2004

"Didier Morandi" <no at spam.com> wrote in message
news:c4e6jv$10te$1 at biggoron.nerim.net...
> What against-top-posting people do not WANT to understand is that the
very first
> interest of posting is, to me, to get help or information.
>
> So, you post your question and, by definition, you remember what it was
(well, I
> hope so).

SourceForge adds new comments to tracker items to the top of the comments
section.  If you are are the original poster, and get a new report emailed
with every comment, and get and read them in order, then newest at top is,
I admit, helpful.  BUT if you look at an old, unresolved, bug report with
several comments, perhaps to see if you can help, then the format is a
major nuisance.  Read the original report at the top.  Then jump down to
the bottom and back up to the top of the first comment and read down.  Then
scan up to find the top of the second comment and read down.  and so on.

The solution, to me, are more easily customizable information readers and
managers.  Then one could have, for instance, a module specifically for
interacting with the SourceForge database, complete with user-preference
settings.  (Does one exist now?  that I don't know of?)

Terry J. Reedy