[OT] Top posting is a PITA [was : Prothon Prototypes vs Python Classes]

Bruno Desthuilliers bdesth.quelquechose at free.quelquepart.fr
Tue Mar 30 17:08:33 EST 2004

Peter Hickman wrote:
> Gerrit wrote:
>
>> only one. I think it is the wrong answer to say that people shouldn't
>> bitch about top-posting - it _does_ annoy people (including me and Aahz).
>

> Will you please reign in you ego and qualify your statement 'it annoys
> *SOME* people'.

Well, it seems that it annoys *most* people here. BTW, I was about to do
the same... (Mark, if you read us : your work seems pretty interesting,
so do *yourself* a favor and make your posts more readable !-).

> I find all the bitching about top posting to be a
> greater distraction than top posting itself!

So please stop bitching about people bitching about top-posting.

>> There are conventions on usenet (and mailing lists), and they are there
>> with reason. I would like to kindly ask you to try to do more
>> 'bottom-posting'. It makes your postings easier and prettier to read.
>
> I find bottom posting to be a real pain as when I look at a new message
> it defaults to showing me the top of the message and I then have to
> scroll through pages of quoted posts that I have already read just to
> read one or two lines stuck at the bottom.

If you have to do so, then the poster didn't get point : only quote
what's needed.

(snip)

> I have never left a group because of the trolls.
> I have never left a group because of the noobies.
> I have left a group because of the constant whining about top posting.

May I suggest you to count how many messages Mark posted here before
someone kindly suggested that he could help everyone by doing a simple
thing ? If that's what you call 'constant whining', then you are the troll.

> People who whine on about 'top posting' are the sort of people who draft
> 'clean desk' policies. If you want to whine about top posting then start
> alt.whine.top.posting and have fun.

Après vous, mon cher.

Bruno