GUI Frameworks in Python?

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Tue Mar 30 10:58:58 EST 2004

Richie Hindle wrote:
> [Peter]
>
>>I'm curious about the differences with wxPython.  Three seconds seems
>>unusually long when on a slightly slower machine I can do it in well
>>under a second.  Was that the first time you ran it?  Many other apps
>>open?  I have over 256MB RAM free when I try this...
>

> I tried it on this 3GHz 1GB XP box and it took 3.5 seconds to bring up the
> wxPython demo's splash banner.  That was with lots of other stuff running and
> not having run it before during this session, but with plenty of available RAM
> and nothing soaking the processor.  Try it after a clean boot or a good long
> disk-cache-hammering spell of doing something else - you might find it's
> slower than you think.

Something's wrong with your box then. :-)

Rebooted.  No wxPython apps run first.  Clicked on Demo icon and said
"one thousand and wuh--" and the splash banner appeared.  Run it again
and I get as far as "one thou--", so clearly there is some difference
between the two and it's not pilot error.  (Barring the possibility,
which always exists, that it still _is_ pilot error. :-)

Go figure.  (And as I said this is an AMD 2200 with 512MB RAM, XP Pro.)

-Peter