State of Python scripting on Mac OS X?

Mark Day mday at apple.com
Wed Mar 24 19:03:25 EST 2004

In article <BC8786FC.F36%franga at shentel.net>, Francis Avila
<franga at shentel.net> wrote:

> I just got a Mac, and I want to script it using Python.

You ought to subscribe to the pythonmac list and ask again there.  See
<http://www.python.org/sigs/pythonmac-sig/>.

> Python needs an OSA scripting component to be an OSA-compliant language.

Having an OSA scripting component would allow you to substitute a
Pyhton-like syntax for the AppleScript syntax, and let them be used
interchangeably wherever an AppleScript script could be used (for
example, to attach to a menu item in an "attachable" application).  It
would make Python show up as a choice in Script Editor.

That would be incredibly powerful, but may be more than you really need.

If all you want to do is write Python scripts/applications that control
other applications, that's a much easier problem.  Python can access
the AppleEvent APIs so you can send AppleEvents to other applications
(to control them).  There are two people pretty actively working on
making AppleEvent scripting work more naturally with Python.
Definitely ask on the pythonmac list.

-Mark