Is python worth learning as a second language?

Michele Simionato michele.simionato at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 08:39:52 EDT 2009

On Mar 9, 12:47 pm, Tim Wintle <tim.win... at teamrubber.com> wrote:

> My slight issue with this list that I think things are in too many
> places. E.g. although you can do functional programming in Python (and
> many do), I think it's worth trying to learn a language like lisp just
> for the sake of forcing yourself to fully understand the paradigm.

By a curious accident, just today I was closing my cycle of posts
about functional
programming (http://www.artima.com/weblogs/viewpost.jsp?thread=251159)
with this note:

"""
The intention of this third cycle of Adventures was just to give a
feeling of what does it mean to be a true functional language, versus
being an imperative language with a few functional-looking constructs.
"""

Indeed Python is not a functional language and that if your goal is to
learn
the functional paradigm you should look at Haskell, ML or Scheme.