[python-uk] Re: UK Python Conference 2004- pre-announcement

Tim Diggins subscribed at red56.co.uk
Thu Feb 5 09:22:20 EST 2004

Hi Andy and others,

as a new-comer, or non-comer, to Python conferences [to date, at least], and
a previous lurker on this list, can I ask a few questions -

Despite the name of the overall conf. - the Python strand isn't primarily
for C developers of python, right? The paper titles look interesting and
very python-centric. Coming from a relatively unorthodox computing
background, I have no C/C++ ancestry to fall back on, and don't want to
shell out hard-earned dosh on something that would turn out to be too
incomprehensible. (I mean there's always that risk with any conference, but
I don't want to stack the odds exceptionally).

Also, is this list a reasonable one for putting out calls for assistance
whether (a) python subcontractors or (b) python specific-area
consultants/mentors - or is there a better place for that?

Also (while I'm in the flow of asking questions), I'm scrabbling around for
a replacement UI simulation-building (prototyping) tool (I'm a
UI/Interaction designer most of the time and I've am dissatisfied by my
previous and current tools (Director, Photoshop, Illustrator, Powerpoint,
and hand-rolling various programmatic solutions) and was wondering whether
anyone had any pointers on papers or reviews of python-based prototyping /
rapid development frameworks - (like BoaConstructor/Pype/PythonCard) so I
can balance them against the graphical-ease / designer-focus of things like
Flash (or Norpath Studio Elements, or Director for that matter). (Ultimately
I'm looking for a protoyping holy grail, but at least I know that). Any
pointers or comments useful.

Hope I haven't gone too widely offtopic, but I'm not sure what's exactly
ontopic !

Tim

  Tim Diggins
  http://www.red56.co.uk/people/tim