[python-uk] Reviewing third-party packages

James Cheese trust at tr00st.co.uk
Fri Jul 28 06:17:45 EDT 2017

We do similar with a checklist for the practicalities (though I for one
still have no good solution for guaranteeing the security of code beyond
reviewing it line-by-line...) - we've gone slightly more general so as to
apply to "technologies" as well as just libraries, but our process is
roughly:

Costs - ongoing/one-off
License - usually a check against http://copyfree.org/ - though it gets a
lot more complicated with certain licenses and architectures, eg: GPL'ed
standalone services can be used without worry in much wider context than
GPL'ed libraries
Check for project activity - evidenced by number of contributors, recent
commit activity and release schedules
Maturity/age of project
Number of "users" - trying to get a rough idea of how many people/companies
use a library
Details on paid support options if applicable
Check if the team expertise and scale lines up with taking maintaining the
project should the worst happen
Checking team expertise for actually using the technology - and any
training/etc required
Checking scalability of the technology

...and a few things that are only really relevant for SaaS-type
integrations, such as identifying points of failure in the provider's
infrastructure.

The other thing I try and push is to ensure that alternatives are
considered where appropriate - which is a bit more contextual, but it's
very easy to jump to "I want to use this" long before checking if there are
better alternatives around.

Thanks

James