[PythonCE] TypeError on execution

Voidspace mike at pcblokes.com
Mon Dec 1 05:34:09 EST 2003

Pritchard Musonda wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm new to Python, I've spent a couple of days exploring the feature set and
>very impressed. That it ran on PPC was just brilliant. I stepped in and
>installed 2.2 and had it running in no time. I had to dig around quite a bit
>to get the file associations to work so clicking on a .py file behaved as
>expected.

If you use a program like pockettweak or even Resco file explorer then
setting file associations is very easy.

>Unfotunately, I haven't gotten even the infamous "Hola Mundo" to work right
>when the file is clicked. It luanches the interpreter fine and then spits out
>a trace. I've dug around the archives on here and tried some of the suggested
>fixes to no end. I've reinstalled a couple of times, but same results.
>
>Heres a typical trace:
>Traceback (most recent calls last)
> File "\Program Files\Python\lib\pcceshell.py" line 545, in File
>"\Temp\first.py", line 1 in ?
>Traceback (most recent calls last)
> File "\Program Files\Python\lib\pcceshell.py" line 406 in OnParentUser
>TpeError: argument 1 must be string without null bytes, not str

Sounds like your file association isn't working (the arguments being
passed to pcceshell are incorrect - that argument would normally be the
filename you are trying to run).
The standard distribution worked fine for me *without* file associations
set *and* with file associations set.

>I could of course haxor pcceshell and find out what the hell is going on
>eventually, but I need a quick anwer. I'm running 2.3 in ppc2002 on an Ipaq
>5455 and have the registry keys correct.
>
>I also downloaded the "modularized" pcceshell, but didn't find info on how to
>encorporate it in 2.3. Any pointers in that would be appreciated.

You ought to just delete and replace the original.

Sorry if these questions had already been answered - but I couldn't see
one and thought I'd reply before deleting the mail :-)

Fuzzy

--

http://www.Voidspace.org.uk
The Place where headspace meets cyberspace. Online resource site - covering science, technology, computing, cyberpunk, psychology, spirituality, fiction and more.

---
The Atlantibot coding message group.
---
http://www.atlantibots.org.uk