[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: Python, Jython, Cocoa and Charleroi

Barry A. Warsaw barry@python.org
16 Aug 2002 02:26:20 -0400

    | I'm not sure there is a formal convention. Obj-C signatures
    | are "richer" in a sense that you can say:

    DG>  [obj doItWithFoo:arg1 andBar:arg2 andQuit];

    DG> which in Java would probably become:

    DG>  obj.doItWithFooAndBarAndQuit(arg1, arg2);

    | The Java Cocoa-API tries hard to come as close as possible
    | to the "original meaning" of Obj-C signatures, but in some
    | cases this might be difficult to achieve.

It's so ironic and cool to see ObjC bindings and NeXTSTEP coming back
to haunt us.  One of the original motivations for us (CNRI) hiring
Guido all those years ago was to have him help us support ObjC and NS,
our intended Knowbot development platforms.  He quickly <wink>
disavoid us of that notion but it's fun to see all that technology
resurrected in MacOSX.

-Barry