[Pythonmac-SIG] What's MacPython missing?

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Wed Oct 15 15:31:55 EDT 2003

On Wednesday, Oct 15, 2003, at 15:12 America/New_York, Ronald Oussoren
wrote:

> On 15 okt 2003, at 19:32, Bob Ippolito wrote:
>
>> I'm interested to know what people here would like to see for
>> MacPython.
>> 	Which modules from other platforms would you really like to see?
>
> Twisted? ;-)

Twisted works just fine, that's my job (I'm the OS X maintainer),
definitely let me know if you have any problems with it, or even better
make an issue at http://twistedmatrix.com/bugs and assign it to me
(etrepum).  The new CoreFoundation integration is extremely cool ;)
Twisted 1.1 is just around the corner and will come with it.

>> 	Which Apple APIs/Frameworks would you like to use but aren't wrapped
>> or aren't wrapped satisfactorily?
> The API for detecting location changes. The exact API slips my mind at
> the moment, but I've used the corresponding command-line tool to
> change parts of the system configuration when moving between home and
> the office. That script didn't survive, but I'd like to reintroduce
> something like that (if only to turn of fetching mail in Mail.app when
> I'm at a location where I cannot access the internet).

Probably in SystemConfiguration somewhere.  I'll look into it.

>> 	A better PackageManager / distutils
> And a nicer IDE.

Oh definitely, a couple people are working on this apparently.  Just
has some nice looking stuff in DrawBot that would be a good basis for
an IDE.  What I really want to see as far as an IDE goes is a good
class browser, help viewer, and graphical debugger.  This doesn't
really bother me so much, because I code in Vim, but it's an issue for
a lot of people.

>> 	Would be nice of Apple open sourced the SWIG wrapper for
>> CoreGraphics they wrote (included with vendor installed Python in
>> MacOS X 10.3), the bgen wrapper is missing a LOT of useful stuff from
>> there.
>
> Fixing the bgen wrappers might be more usefull.

But that's definitely harder ;)