[Pythonmac-SIG] fink vs DarwinPorts?

Brett C. bac at OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Sat Feb 5 08:32:58 CET 2005

Russell E. Owen wrote:
> I've seen a lot of discussion lately about fink and darwinports and I'm
> wondering if folks who have experience with either can comment on their
> relative merits?

I personally have run Fink in the past multiple times and always end up
deleting it in the end.  DarwinPorts, on the other hand, I have yet to
uninstall.  The package config files are easy to read by eye (it is basically
Tcl code).  I also just like how the system is set up using the command line;
never liked how Fink works that way.

And their idea of activation (can have multiple installs of the same thing with
different configs; just activate to choose which one to use) is nice.  Plus
having Jordan Hubbard on the team is nice (former member of FreeBSD who now
works at Apple for those who don't know).  =)

-Brett