[Pythonmac-SIG] fink vs DarwinPorts?

Piet van Oostrum piet at cs.uu.nl
Sat Feb 5 11:57:01 CET 2005

>BC> Russell E. Owen wrote:
>>> I've seen a lot of discussion lately about fink and darwinports and I'm
>>> wondering if folks who have experience with either can comment on their
>>> relative merits?
>>>

>BC> I personally have run Fink in the past multiple times and always end up
>BC> deleting it in the end.  DarwinPorts, on the other hand, I have yet to
>BC> uninstall.  The package config files are easy to read by eye (it is
>BC> basically Tcl code).  I also just like how the system is set up using the
>BC> command line; never liked how Fink works that way.

>BC> And their idea of activation (can have multiple installs of the same thing
>BC> with different configs; just activate to choose which one to use) is nice.
>BC> Plus having Jordan Hubbard on the team is nice (former member of FreeBSD
>BC> who now works at Apple for those who don't know).  =)

I just removed fink from my system and am reinstalling the things that I
need with darwinports (most of it, some things I still have manually
installed). Fink invades your system and it wants to install all kinds of
things that I don't want such as other python versions. Darwinports is less
invading. However, darwinports doesn't always state all dependencies which
means you might have to be a bit more careful. By the way, I install
darwinports in /usr/local because I don't want yet another directory tree.

There are still traces of /sw/lib in my installed software but once these
are used they fail. I am working on finding all traces and removing them.
--
Piet van Oostrum <piet at cs.uu.nl>
Private email: piet at vanoostrum.net