[Pythonmac-SIG] fink vs DarwinPorts?

Michael Twomey micktwomey at gmail.com
Sat Feb 5 12:27:42 CET 2005

Funny, I generally prefer fink precisely because it uses /sw. It keeps
itself neatly inside /sw (source, intermediate build, final
installation). For a unix head like myself I couldn't ask any more. I
generally dislike a packaging system using /usr/local instead of their
own prefix, as it is almost gauranteed to tread on other self compiled
apps (or downloaded apps). /usr/local is meant to be for sys admins
local installs of apps, a strong packaging system should use another
prefix.

Another reason is that it is based on the debian apt packaging system,
so you have a very controlled build environment. Their .info package
descriptions are succint and it is easy to roll your own packages.

I find the packages to be of very high quality (I sit on the unstable
branch, don't let the name dissuade you, it's generally far more
stable than many other distros' definition of stable), particularly
the scientific computing packages (I'm biased, it has good python
scientific stuff, which aligns neatly with my work).

I haven't been too pleased with darwinports, it either gave me dud
python packages when I tried it, or didn't have high enough quality on
other packages I tried. It's definitely more bleeding edge than fink,
but I it's easier to roll my own in fink when I need to.

mick