[Pythonmac-SIG] fink vs DarwinPorts?

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Sat Feb 5 15:21:15 CET 2005

On Feb 5, 2005, at 6:27 AM, Michael Twomey wrote:

>>> end up
>>> yet to
>>> is
>>> using the

>>> same thing
>>> use) is nice.
>>> FreeBSD
>>
>> I just removed fink from my system and am reinstalling the things
>> that I
>> need with darwinports (most of it, some things I still have manually
>> installed). Fink invades your system and it wants to install all
>> kinds of
>> things that I don't want such as other python versions. Darwinports
>> is less
>> invading. However, darwinports doesn't always state all dependencies
>> which
>> means you might have to be a bit more careful. By the way, I install
>> darwinports in /usr/local because I don't want yet another directory
>> tree.
>>
>> There are still traces of /sw/lib in my installed software but once
>> these
>> are used they fail. I am working on finding all traces and removing
>> them.
> Funny, I generally prefer fink precisely because it uses /sw. It keeps
> itself neatly inside /sw (source, intermediate build, final
> installation). For a unix head like myself I couldn't ask any more. I
> generally dislike a packaging system using /usr/local instead of their
> own prefix, as it is almost gauranteed to tread on other self compiled
> apps (or downloaded apps). /usr/local is meant to be for sys admins
> local installs of apps, a strong packaging system should use another
> prefix.

Dawinports uses /opt/local, not /usr/local.  It was Piet's *choice* to
install to /usr/local (though, like you, I would never ever do that).

The BIGGEST problem with fink is that it pollutes your environment if
you want to use it.  It expects you to have a whole script's worth of
evil inside your shell at all times.

> Another reason is that it is based on the debian apt packaging system,
> so you have a very controlled build environment. Their .info package
> descriptions are succint and it is easy to roll your own packages.

Controlled?!  By who?  Certainly not the user.