[Pythonmac-SIG] Mac Python and eggs...

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Mon Jan 23 23:56:52 CET 2006

On Jan 23, 2006, at 2:21 PM, Christopher Barker wrote:

> Bob Ippolito wrote:
>> Eggs and Cheese Shop already have that problem way solved.
>>
>> python setup.py register sdist bdist_egg upload -s
>>
>> That will register your package on Cheese Shop, build the egg and
>> source distro, and upload it to Cheese Shop with GPG signatures.
>
> Does the egg itself get put on cheeseshop? I just searched cheeseshop
> for a few packages I often use (NumPy, PIL, matplotlib). They all had
> links to a download page, but nothing there, and those download pages
> had the usual assortment of tarball, windows installers, etc
> (including
> some eggs).

Yes, the egg itself gets hosted on Cheese Shop, as well as the source
download (hence the "upload").

The packages you often use are not yet using setuptools, so it's no
surprise that they don't take advantage of these new features that
aren't in distutils.  Someone needs to convince the maintainers of
the packages that you use that they should be using setuptools, at
least for distribution (but not necessarily as a requirement for
installation).

> Frankly, that doesn't do any more for me than Google, at least for
> packages I already know the name of.

That's orthogonal.  The maintainer side of the problem is 100%
completely and totally solved already, that's all I was saying.
Cheese Shop does have a search feature, and plenty of metadata such
as trove categorizations, so you could do better than google if you
paid enough attention to what features Cheese Shop has.  The UI
definitely does need work, though, like a search box right on the
front page rather than stowed away behind a link.

> What that tells me is that there is a need for an OS-X package (or
> egg)
> repository on pythonmac.

I'm not at all convinced on that point.  I definitely don't want a
Mac-specific Cheese Shop, because that's more hassle for package
maintainers.  If pythonmac.org has any Cheese Shop-like features,
they will be derived at least in part from Cheese Shop's database.