[Pythonmac-SIG] xcode problems

Jerry lanceboyle at qwest.net
Mon Oct 23 04:10:55 CEST 2006

On Oct 20, 2006, at 12:26 AM, Ronald Oussoren wrote:

>> Noted. I am at the moment trying TextWrangler for editing Python.
>> May be I will
>> revert to Idle.
>> [rant]
>> It is a shame, though. Xcode is a great python environment, as far
>> as my
>> experience goes. It would be far more useful if it were open source.
>> [/rant]
>
> Open Source is not relevant for that, having a public API is. I
> (and other people) have asked for this, but this isn't a very high
> priority for Apple (AFAIK).
>
> What I'd like to see in a future version of Xcode is a public
> plugin API (outright Python support would also be nice of course)
> and an tool for creating/maintaining project templates.

I wonder where TextMate is headed. It has the potential to get a lot
of these things right. The developer has been rather quiet lately and
I believe he has said that he is working on a major revision. The bad
part is that I _think_ it is a one-person development "team" and thus
has the associated problem with trucks. (That is, what if he gets hit
by one.)

Jerry