[SciPy-Dev] scipy.io.wavfile to read byte array directly?

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 17:46:45 EDT 2016

On Sun, Sep 11, 2016 at 8:53 AM, Joseph Booker <joe at neoturbine.net> wrote:

> Miles,
>
> Are you aware of io.BytesIO? I don't know the performance implications of
> using a wrapper, but I'd expect loading the data to take marginal time
> compared to training your ML model.

BytesIO would be useful if the data is already in an array. It's not clear
from the question that that's the case. If not, it's the interpreting of
the .wav file data format that Miles would like to reuse.

> --
> Joseph
>
> On Sep 10, 2016 4:35 PM, "Miles Dowe" <milesdowe at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I was interested in the creation of a function for the scipy.io.wavfile
>> utility. Rather than requiring that read() only be performed on a file, I'd
>> like to add a read() function where a byte array of WAV data can be
>> provided directly.

wavfile.read already takes a file or a file-like object. The docs don't
specify exactly what methods the file-like object needs to have. A quick
browse says: read, seek, tell and close. Would be nice to get that
documented and tested. Does that help?

>> Here's some background behind this motivation. I am a student with the
>> University of Washington and I have been working with a former student's
>> machine learning algorithm. The aim of the algorithm is to detect human
>> laughter and it utilizes SciPy and NumPy.
>>
>> We're aiming to create a service-oriented architecture maintained in AWS
>> and our audio data is stored within S3. I've been experimenting with the
>> Boto3 library, which returns a byte array, and I'd like to provide that
>> data directly to the machine learning script (instead of writing to the
>> disk and reading from it).
>>
>> I'd like to hear your thoughts and might experiment with this idea until
>> approval is expressed by the community.

If you can make this work with the existing read() function, that would be
useful. A separate function shouldn't be needed.

Ralf