[Spambayes] Training via web interface hangs

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Sun Oct 12 20:54:46 EDT 2003

> I have never been able to train Spambayes using the web interface.
>
> I am using pop3proxy_service on a W2K server.  When I go to
> the training page, it shows the mails that I have received
> that day and their classification.  I make a few adjustments
> and click on the train button, but nothing happens.  The
> browser (MS IE 6) reports that it it opening page
> http://server1:8880/review and the progress bar starts go
> increment, but only ever gets as far as 6 bars.

Does this happen if you use a different browser?  Does it happen even if you
try and train on a single message, and have the rest set to "defer"?

> Are there any logs I can look at ?

Yes, the service creates a log in the user's temp directory (where 'user'
depends on how the service is setup) called SpamBayesService1.log (through
to 5, IIRC).  You could also run "pop3proxy_service.py debug" and try and
train, and any error would print out to the console.

> I think I read somewhere that if pop3proxy_service is compiled
> into a exe that it logs to a log file, but if its run from the
> .py source, it doesn't log.  Is this correct ?

Almost.  If running from an .exe the log output is redirected to a file,
yes.  If you run from the source, then any errors will be printed to stdout
or stderr, both probably the console window you're running the source from.