[Spambayes] Whitelist for SpamBayes for Outlook

David Matos david.matos at comcast.net
Fri Sep 12 03:02:11 EDT 2003

Just my 2 cents: I second some of what Tom Boland said about mail from
certain senders showing up repeatedly in the "Unsure" folder despite
extensive training.

Before I go any further, let me say that I've been using SpamAtBay for a
while now, and I'm not sure how much overlap still exists between SAB and
SpamBayes. That said, I loved SpamBayes (I still read all the postings to
this list) and originally switched to SAB only for the whitelist option,
which at the time sounded like a great feature. After reading the
discussions here, however, I quit using the whitelist feature a while ago.
The resident experts make a convincing argument for why the
training/filtering should make the whitelist redundant.

In practice, though, I find that mail from at least one of my acquaintances
keeps getting filtered as "Unsure." This is a friend who sends me mail as
often as a 20 times a day (in fact, the majority of my ham), always from the
same address, but with wildly varying content, ranging from a couple words
in plain text to a single picture without text to an entire page of HTML. I
recall someone saying earlier that SB (and SAB) takes the message header
into account when classifying the message--if this is the case, why isn't
the "From" address a dead-giveaway? Before this filtering anomaly can be
chalked up to "training error" let me say that I'm exceedingly fastidious
when it comes to categorizing incoming mail, i.e. I (re)classify everything
from this person as ham.

What can I do to help figure out what's going on with this particular
filtering phenomenon?