[Spambayes] Spambayes 1.1a1 too many problems?

Tony Meyer tameyer at ihug.co.nz
Thu Apr 14 06:04:49 CEST 2005

> Regarding 2: With 1.04 there are no messages in the cache so
> SB  starts up almost instantaneously.

I'm particularly curious about whether 1.1a1 is slower than 1.0.x when
conditions are the same (e.g. the cache directories are the same).  But I'll
look into this:

[ 1182671 ] When cache directories are full, 1.1a1 starts slowly
<http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1182671&group_id=6
1702&atid=498103>

> Regarding 3: 1.0X was definitely not running. I shutdown the
> server and completely removed the Spambayes folder from the
> Program Directory before I installed 1.1a1.

This too, although if anyone is able to come up with a reliable set of steps
to reproduce the problem, that would help.  (Particularly if it doesn't
involve simulating thousands of messages being classified as the only
example to date does! :)

> Regarding 4: I've no clue when it happened. I looked in the
> logfile when I noticed that Spambayes was using CPU and I/O
> cycles and my system was about dead. Then I saw the error
> message in the logfile and the size of the Pafe File
> (normally the PF is about 300MB).

I'll look into this, too.

[ 1182670 ] High memory consumption with sb_server when receiving mail
<http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1182670&group_id=6
1702&atid=498103>

> I've seen that Janusz Piwowarski seems to have similar
> problems but I'm more than happy to re-install 1.1a1 and
> closely monitor for this error to happen again (and if
> possible, will try to re-create it). Let me know what you
> want me to do.

Give me a few days and I'll see what I can come up with.  If I can't
reproduce either of these, I'll note that in the trackers, and then if you
(or Janusz) can add more information (I'll be specific about what I need)
that would be great.

=Tony.Meyer