[Spambayes] Unwanted stock solicitations

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Fri Oct 13 17:58:42 CEST 2006

    Calvin> I'm not don't have answers to anyt of your questions
    Calvin> below. Where would I find Path info? If ocrad.exe is there, is
    Calvin> that good or bad? What is PIL?

    Calvin> I'm going to send you a sample of the sollicitations I
    Calvin> receive. Maybe that will help.

Calvin,

Sending me samples of the stock solicitations won't help.  It's not that
SpamBayes won't or can't process them.  It's much more likely that the image
analysis part of SpamBayes isn't even being run.

I have no idea how to check your PATH on Windows.  If you open a terminal
window (Select "Run" from your Start menu and enter "cmd" as the command to
run), and type "ocrad" at the prompt, does it run?  If so, that part is
okay.  If not, use the find files command from your Start menu to try and
locate it.

Again from a terminal window, try executing python.  (You may find it
somewhere in your Windows Start menu as well.)  At the Python prompt
(">>>") type

    import PIL

If you get another prompt with no errors, you have PIL.  If you get an error
message, you will have to install it.  You can get a PIL installer that
works with your version of Python (the version was printed when Python
started up) here:

    http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil/

Pick the appropriate Windows installer.  Download.  Install.

Once PIL is installed, you'll need to check your SpamBayes parameter
settings.  I have no idea how to do this with the Outlook plugin, but you
probably want these settings:

    x-lookup_ip: True
    lookup_ip_cache: dns_cache.pck
    x-image_size: True
    x-crack_images: True
    max_image_size: 100000
    crack_image_cache: image_cache.pck

I don't know where it will put the two cache files.

Post back here with any answers you can come up with.

Skip