[Spambayes] Problems installing and configuring SpamBayes

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Sat Feb 5 14:20:53 CET 2011

    lilliana> I downloaded SpamBayes today, but can't figure out how to use
    lilliana> it.  I clicked on the installing SpamBayes link in your
    lilliana> documentation section, but I got "The connection was reset"
    lilliana> error message....

    lilliana> 500 Server error
    lilliana> Traceback (most recent call last):
    lilliana> UnboundLocalError: local variable 'state' referenced before assignment

Well, there is clearly a bug in that function which I can fix easily enough.
I'm mystified why it's never been encountered before.  You appear to be
using Windows Live Mail, which might or might not work with SpamBayes.

Unfortunately, I can't make a new release for Windows.  How are you with
Notepad?  Do you think you can find the file sb_server.py and edit it?  The
fix is a one-line change.  Just search for "def _recreateState", then right
after that line, add this line:

    global state

(indented with four spaces, just as I have it above).  So, that bit of code
will change from

def _recreateState():
    # Close the existing listeners and create new ones.  This won't
    # affect any running proxies - once a listener has created a proxy,

def _recreateState():
    global state
    # Close the existing listeners and create new ones.  This won't
    # affect any running proxies - once a listener has created a proxy,

Of course, this might not be the only bug.  Given that we've apparently not
seen it before and it appears you're using a rare-for-SpamBayes mail
program, I'd rate the odds of encountering more problems as at least
"moderate".

--
Skip Montanaro - skip at pobox.com - http://www.smontanaro.net/