[Tkinter-discuss] Look of the Tk apps in Debian Linux

jepler at unpythonic.net jepler at unpythonic.net
Thu Feb 16 02:25:38 CET 2006

You can use the X resource database to control the default appearance of
Tk widgets.

For example, try the following shell script before running a Tk or
Tkinter app:
    for class in Label Entry Listbox Button Checkbutton Radiobutton Menu
    do
      echo "*$class.font: helvetica 12"
    done | xrdb -merge
It will choose a nicer (non-bold) font for most widgets.  These settings
will persist until logout, or until modified by a subsequent 'xrdb'
invocation.

You can get the rest of what I know from reading the 'option' manpage,
which is a Tk command that adds resources to the list for just one
instance of Tk.  I believe the resource syntax is able to specify
application names, widget paths, and widget classes, though I don't know
all the particulars.  I generally use the *Class.databaseName format,
and nothing else.

Jeff