[Tutor] sockets broken on New Install???

Sheila King sheila@thinkspot.net
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 09:22:05 -0700

On Thu, 16 Aug 2001 08:41:01 -0700, Sheila King <sheila@thinkspot.net>
wrote about [Tutor] sockets broken on New Install???:

:119 tests OK.
:4 tests failed: test___all__ test_asynchat test_socket test_sundry
:16 tests skipped: test_al test_cd test_cl test_dl test_gl test_imgfile
:test_largefile test_linuxaudiodev test_minidom test_nis test_pyexpat
:test_sax test_socketserver test_sunaudiodev test_winreg test_winsound
:make: *** [test] Error 1
:
:Having sockets not work is a real problem.

Well, here is an additional clue. I checked the config.log file for
"socket" and find this message:

configure:3264: checking for socket in -lsocket
configure:3283: gcc -o conftest -g -O2   conftest.c -lsocket -ldl  -ldl
1>&5
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lsocket
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure: failed program was:
#line 3272 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
/* Override any gcc2 internal prototype to avoid an error.  */
/* We use char because int might match the return type of a gcc2
    builtin and then its argument prototype would still apply.  */
char socket();

int main() {
socket()
; return 0; }

I guess I have to ask my admin where the lsocket is??? I dunno?

--
Sheila King
http://www.thinkspot.net/sheila/