A good Tk widgets tutorial (was: Re: [Tutor] Why I'm learning Python (OT and long))

Rob uselesspython@yahoo.com
Thu, 30 Aug 2001 12:51:26 -0500

Sheila King wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Aug 2001 13:09:26 -0400, "David L. Lerner"
> <dell2100@prodigy.net>  wrote about [Tutor] Why I'm learning Python (OT
> and long):
>
> :Hey, I sent a program in to Useless, and I haven't even _started_ on Tk
> :widgets.
> :
> :Can anyone recommend a good Tk widgets tutorial?.
>
> I've looked at (I think) all the Tk tutorials on the web
> (both of them ;))

On Useless Python, we have links to a couple of the Tk resources
available on the web:

http://www.lowerstandard.com/python/tutoriallinks.html

I want to say I've found a few more out there that didn't make it to the
Useless links pages. Anyone's free to send these handy links in to
Useless at any time, by the way.

> and I had Core Python Programming and the Quick Python book (both of
> which have only a small "intro" chapter on Tkinter). But, when I finally
> got my copy of Programming Python, ...WOW!. Four whole chapters devoted
> to Tkinter, and then it weaves its way into much of the rest of the
> book, as well. And I have to say, the nicest, clearest explanations that
> *I've* seen on Tkinter. (Granted, I don't have the Grayson book that
> always seems to get mentioned when someone asks about Tkinter...probably
> because it is the only book exclusively on the topic of Tkinter. I can't
> compare that to Programming Python.)

Teach Yourself Python In 24 Hours (pub. by SAMS) also has a pretty darn
nice introduction to Tkinter. It spans a massive percentage of the book.
And the upcoming Python How To Program (pub. by Prentice Hall in a few
months) has a few fine chapters on the subject as well. And then there
are the examples at Useless (as well as the Vaults of Parnassus and the
Python Cookbook, I assume).

In my *copious free time*, I plan to continue adding small examples of
GUI programming in Tkinter, wxPython, Jython/Swing, CGI (yeah, I
consider it a GUI, at least in part), etc. to Useless for people to
scoff at. Anyone's invited to contribute this sort of thing, as well. I
do love having a public place to put examples of working code that
doesn't have to be anything in particular.

Rob

--
A {} is a terrible thing to waste.
Useless Python!