[Tutor] python accounting package

Danny Yoo dyoo@hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Wed Apr 2 20:36:02 2003

On Tue, 1 Apr 2003, Jaco Smuts (ZA) wrote:

> I'm playing with the idea of writing my own little accounting app to
> automate my personal business accounting. (Very simple). Is anyone aware
> of any Python accounting stuff that I could use (not to re-invent the
> wheel).

Hi Jaco,

Your question is a bit specialized, and many of us on Tutor may not be too
familiar with business accounting stuff.  You may want to check with the
folks on the main 'comp.lang.python' newsgroup to see if people can help
you find some good resources.

You may also want to check out the Vaults of Parnassus:

    http://www.vex.net/parnassus

Parnassus archives the Python communities collection of Python software,
and provides a good starting point for looking for source code.  I did a
search for 'finance' from the search page on Parnassus, and came up with
the Quantitative Finance library:

    http://quantlib.org/

The 'python-finance' Special Interest Group (SIG),

would have been another good place to ask, had it not been killed by
spammers.

> I also plan on using MySQL. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

There's a section about Database topics on Python.org that you may find
helpful:

    http://python.org/topics/database/

Python by itself doesn't provide direct support for MySQL.  You'll need to
get a database driver module to properly access MySQL from Python, but
thankfully, there's a great module written by Andy Dustman called
"MySQLdb":

    http://sourceforge.net/projects/mysql-python

I hope this helps!