[Web-SIG] Bowing out (was Re: A trivial template API counter-proposal)

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Tue Feb 7 16:20:43 CET 2006

At 09:08 AM 2/7/2006 -0500, Jim Fulton wrote:
>I'm not sure what you're talking about here.  Are you talking about
>WSGI? Or the templating effort?  I've tuned out the templating discussion.

Just the templating effort, and that only for the time being.  I just don't
feel I have enough time to devote to trying to compete in that area, since
my take on it is very much against the grain of the popular approach.

>Despite some skepticism about the templating
>effort, I certainly planned to evaluate it when it settled down.

I'm not complaining about you personally tuning out; it's just that I ended
up being a sole advocate for stuff I thought Zope would need in order to
utilize the template standard as a basis for views, without being certain
of the details or whether you (i.e. zope.com and .org) actually cared (due
to you having disappeared after your initial comment).  (This of course
also goes for other view-based and "active page" frameworks that have
similar issues, but whose architects weren't around to comment in the first
place.)

>I do think that the pioneering work you are doing with setuptools
>is far more important for Python, so I'd be happy to see you focus on
>that. :)

I'd be especially interested in your thoughts on my current "API for
finding plugins" posts on the distutils-sig, as I gather you're working in
that area with Zope at the moment.