[XML-SIG] XML-newbie says hello

Just van Rossum just@letterror.com
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 00:11:02 +0100

(Thanks for all your replies!)

>See http://www.schema.net/. Right on the front page, there is a list of
>three books that should be appropriate.

Cool. "Developing SGML DTDs : From Text to Model to Markup" seems to be one
of the standard works. Should I be afraid that it is about SGML rather than
XML? I only know XML is a subset of SGML, but I have no idea what to look
out for in the sense of XML vs. SGML pitfalls. Maybe Paul's suggestion
"Structuring XML Documents" is more suited for me?

>> - What would be an appropriate forum for discussions about DTD design?
>
>This forum has seen a number of DTD design discussions. It looks like
>schema.net has a mailing list, but I'm not sure what topics ared
>covered. You may want to peruse schema.net, also...

schema.net seems a *very* useful site indeed.

>there may be a DTD for you already (or one that is close).

Nah, our application is way too specialized/obscure... But I'm sure I can
learn a lot from other DTDs, if that's what you mean...

Thanks again,

Just