[XML-SIG] XML in Python 1.6 (PROPOSAL)

30 Jun 2000 10:17:54 +0200

* Fred L. Drake, Jr.

|   1.  Create a new package in the standard library, with the following
|       structure:
|
|         xml/
|             dom/
|                 __init__        # provides parse(), parseFile(),
|                                 # and Document
|                 minidom         # Paul's basic DOM 1 + namespaces
|                                 # implementation
|                 ???             # driver to load a DOM from a SAX parser?

Should be there, I think.  Little point in having a DOM implementation
that can't load from XML documents.

|             parsers/
|                 expat           # Python Expat wrapper with namespace
|                                 # support

IMHO we should use the namespace support that is built-in to expat.
Anything else is bound to slow us down.

|             sax/
|                 __init__        # provides parse(), parseFile(), and
|                                 # some classes from the handler module

Whoops! parseFile() no longer exists! We now use the InputSource class
instead.

|                 saxutils        # pretty much the same as now

Probably not. There's a lot of SAX 1.0 legacy there now. That would
need to be removed.

The basic structure looks good to me, however.

--Lars M.