[XML-SIG] XML in Python 1.6 (PROPOSAL)

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@beopen.com
Fri, 30 Jun 2000 09:41:56 -0400 (EDT)

Lars Marius Garshol writes:
 > |                 ???             # driver to load a DOM from a SAX parser?
 >
 > Should be there, I think.  Little point in having a DOM implementation
 > that can't load from XML documents.

  Ah, but the "???" was because I wasn't interested in the name, not
questioning whether we needed it!

 > |             parsers/
 > |                 expat           # Python Expat wrapper with namespace
 > |                                 # support
 >
 > IMHO we should use the namespace support that is built-in to expat.
 > Anything else is bound to slow us down.

  Paul and I talked about this the other day.  We have a two-phase
approach: use a Python wrapper so we can get both the URI and prefix
with the current (stable) Expat, and modify Expat so that this
information is reported directly with more recent versions.  This lets
us set the API and provide the functionality now, and deal with the
implementation when Paul has time to make/test the changes to Expat,
and get James Clark to accept them -- there's still no desire to fork
Expat development.

 > |             sax/
 > |                 __init__        # provides parse(), parseFile(), and
 > |                                 # some classes from the handler module
 >
 > Whoops! parseFile() no longer exists! We now use the InputSource class
 > instead.
 >
 > |                 saxutils        # pretty much the same as now
 >
 > Probably not. There's a lot of SAX 1.0 legacy there now. That would
 > need to be removed.

  I've checked in the files Paul sent me yesterday; please take a look
at the Python CVS and let me know if we need to change anything.  Feel
free to check in any changes whenever you're ready.  We're planning to
release the beta tomorrow, so the sooner the better!

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at beopen.com>
BeOpen PythonLabs Team Member