Is it possible (or desirable) that devpi be able to trigger builds of
wheels for packages that it caches? I realise it'd be possible as part of a
Jenkins trigger for an upload, but this is for cached packages from PyPI.
The actual building could be complex - in the case of current Linux wheels,
we'd need to have separate indexes for the wheels for Debian, RHEL, Ubuntu,
SUSE, etc. since the wheels are typically not compatible. That complexity
could be external to devpi - it's just a case of getting the trigger to
indicate that a build is desired.
Quite how this integrates with a user just doing a "pip install package" is
a little beyond me for the moment - the delay between the cache event and
build completing could be significant. In light of that it might be
desirable to have a separate process which does all this work (fetches the
latest package and performs the build). Has anyone done this? How would it
keep up to date?
several people asked me to convert the devpi repository from
hg/mercurial to git. Although i am mostly fine with hg/mercurial
myself i'd like to use git in some more depth. Therefore i plan
to convert the repository to git but continue to host it at bitbucket
for the time being. Probably going to happen sometime this week.
I just released the devpi-findlinks 1.0.0 plugin for devpi-server.
It adds a new view at for example
http://localhost:3141/user1/dev/+findlinks which lists all releases of
that index and it's bases except root/pypi. It is meant as a helper to
migrate simple directory views which have been used with the
--find-links option of pip and easy_install to devpi-server.
Downloads and readme at:
The new devpi releases (devpi-server-2.0.2, devpi-web-2.0.1, devpi-client-2.0.1)
contain several fixes for the private github-style pypi caching server,
see the changelog below for details. Find all the documentation at
with tutorials and quickstart documents for particular scenarios.
Note that no export/import procedure is needed if you are already running
a 2.X devpi-server. If upgrading from a 1.2 devpi-server install, you need
to upgrade using these instructions:
many thanks to Florian Schulze who again helped a lot with this release.
- fix issue120: link to "upgrade" section from main index page.
- preserve http reason string for setup.py submit through replica proxying
- proper error message when "devpi push X" uses an X that comes from
a base index or is not existent
- fix issue121: depend on py-1.4.23 to fix python3.4 compatibility
for a venusian/py34/py interaction import oddity.
- fix issue126: handle deletion of pypi project cache entries correctly
(i.e. ones that are triggered by "refresh" on simple page).
- Add special handling of ":ANONYMOUS:" user in acl_upload to allow anonymous
- fix nginx template so that when used in a replica setting the master
always answers HEAD requests without nginx short-cirtcuiting it.
- increase internal cache size to improve performance when many indexes
and projects are served.
- fix issue118: rendering of description with unicode.
- fix a test to expect a 403 instead of a 401 from devpi server from
- fix error message on API version client/server mismatch
- fix issue124: package name url matching for the "devpi test" command