[Distutils] the usecase of continious integration based release-management (which could use more support on the ds2 side)

Ronny Pfannschmidt Ronny.Pfannschmidt at gmx.de
Thu Mar 24 00:02:24 CET 2011

On Wed, 2011-03-23 at 22:47 +0000, Alexis Métaireau wrote:
> Le 23/03/2011 19:20, Ronny Pfannschmidt a écrit :
> > Hi,
>
> Hey ronny !
>
> > i'd like to propose making the work-flow of creating releases by just
> > pushing vcs tags to a ci system as easy as possible
>
> That's an usage a lot of people have, +1 to make it easy to do in a few
> steps.
>
> > personally all i ever want to do to release a new version is::
> >
> >   $vcs tag $version
> >   $vcs push
>
> Do you mean "pysetup upload" (or whatever similar), or are you thinking
> about a vcs hook that generates the setup.cfg and upload for you ?

"pysetup upload" would happen somewhere else, most likely a continious
build/integration server

> What tools are we talking about ? distutils? distutils2?
> setuptools/distribute?

mostly distutils2, the rest is in deprecation/better not change limbo
anyway

> The way to do it with distutils2 would be to register a hook able to get
> information from the vcs and put it in the setup.cfg.

i tried hacking that up, it also needs a hook in the sdist command to
statically put the data there

> > a) provide a hook to get the version, make the version static on
> > sdist/upload
> >  pro: straightforward, simple
> >  cons: kind of a hack
>
> why are you considering it a hack ? seems the right way to me.

its the implementation of a single dynamic metadata item as kind of
special case

> > b) provide support for multiple setup-hooks and support for command
> > mixin's
> >
> >  pro: generic way to do it
> >  cons: needs more code, more stuff in setup.cfg
>
> multiple setup-hooks ? Doesnt seems clear to me, can you clarify ?

people might want to do more than just the hook for the version
it shouldn't be necessary to manually write functions that combine those
hooks, if all that's necessary is call in order