[Mailman-Users] Re: [Mailman-Developers] BUG: virtual hosting (was Re: [Mailman-Users] Bug in b7?)

Ken Manheimer klm at cnri.reston.va.us
Wed Jan 13 20:08:55 CET 1999

On Wed, 13 Jan 1999, Greg Stein wrote:

> Speaking of virtual hosts...
>
> BUG REPORT:
>
> When the automated, monthly reminder goes out, the text uses a host name
> that might not apply to all the mailing lists in the combined
> reminder(!).
>
> I got a number of emails on January 1 when people received their mailing
> list reminder for harleydavidson.com (I run a mailing list for that
> domain). People couldn't quite see how the Python2C Announcement list
> should be hosted on harleydavidson.com :-)

Yikes!  But with an amusing touch of irony, i must say:-)

> The combined report is cool and all :-), but I would recommend that it
> only combines reports for lists on the same virtual host!

Good point.  It should not be hard.

All the relevant logic is in ~mailman/cron/mailpasswds.  The fragment
that does the grouping needs to be more discerning about how it groups,
factoring in virtual host, and then the messages need to be sent out as
if from mailman-admin on that virtual host.  (Hmm - that's a bit of a
problem, because currently mailman doesn't distinguish a number of
owners.  It can be kludged for now in mailpasswd, but a functional
interface should be created to provide an owner address distinguished by
host.)

If anyone want to look at it, please do so - but realize that changes to
mailpasswds requires good testing, because it only happens periodically,
and causes a lot of traffic, quite a nuisance if it goes awry.  I
usually test with a version where the actual sends are inhibited,
producing output to identify that it's doing what i want, before
committing anything.

If no one gets to it, i should before the end of the year.  (Kidding -
but i really do not know when i will next be able to change anything in
mailman and have adquate time for testing the changes - no point in
hacking if i can't be confident it works!)

Ken