[Mailman-Users] Getting Started

Rick Robino rrobino at wavedivision.com
Sat Jul 10 19:59:50 CEST 1999

Amen, Barry. I have similar experiences with a Sparc 5 (not a sun4u
either!) which proved the box and the OS to be quite capable, handling
a very high load of Internet traffic for mail and web. Even when it
gets loaded, it might slow down a bit but it keeps chugging. I can't
say I've run Solaris 7 in this environment yet, just 2.5.1 and 2.6.

With any Unix there are a couple kernel parameters you might want to
tune, especially if the box runs an HTTP server, is as high-traffic as
you say, and probably has longer than LAN latency times. There are two
great books for Solaris on the subject, "Sun Performance and Tuning",
by Adrian Cockroft and Richard Pettit; and "Configuration and Capacity
Planning for Solaris Servers", by Brian Wong. Solaris 2.6 had much
better defaults and upper limits than previous releases, and Solaris 7
should be even better. They can all be changed on the fly and don't
need a reboot. Just be careful, and test what you change to see if
it really works the way you want.

I hope I can avoid a holy war, I haven't tried OpenBSD, but I do like
and have some experience with FreeBSD and BSDi. I figure besides the
whole SysV vs BSD thing, most people know the good parts and bad parts
of each system. In my take, I like the innovations that have come along
in recent *BSD flavors and some of the networking stuff, but to me
having a real SPARC chip, UPA board, and solid SCSI still take
precedence over other arguements. Thats why I like Solaris. My $0.02.

--Rick