[Mailman-Users] Anyone ever had a list disapear?

John Viega John at list.org
Wed Mar 10 00:58:21 CET 1999

I encountered a very strange very similar problem just 2 days ago.
The list "disappeared" in that no operations could be performed on the
list, and that if you went to the web page it would say "no such list"
or something.  When the list gets loaded, a file called config.db is
backed up to config.db.last.  If something happens such that config.db
can't be loaded, it is supposed to try to load the backup.  Apparently
it didn't, because I went and looked, and there was a config.db.last
file, but no config.db file, and when I copied the .last to .db,
everything started working again immediately.

As to what the problem was, I couldn't say for sure, but it seemed
that the machine had run out of some sort of resource (I think perhaps
disk space) while it was writing back out the config.db file, and was
unable to finish.  It may be due to just really heavy load on the
machine, and not disk space.  In short, I didn't really have enough
info to track it down, but those sorts of things were going on at the
time, and they seem to make sense.

John