[Mailman-Users] Q?: recipient's email address in msg footer

Marc MERLIN marc_news at valinux.com
Fri Oct 20 08:41:32 CEST 2000

On Mon, Oct 16, 2000 at 12:43:34PM +0100, Nigel Metheringham wrote:
> Generating a mail transaction per recipient will have *serious* effects
> on the efficiency of the MTA subsystem (although some will be happier
> than others - qmail might like it), and certainly result in you
> temporarily using (list members) * (message size) spool space which
> would kill some systems.  In some cases it would also increase your
> outgoing delivery bandwidth requirements.

ezmlm+qmail have been doing that for ages.
It shouldn't be a  default, for some of us have CPUs, and  HD space to spare
(bandwidth needs are  not significantly increased, the  percentage of people
from the same site in many lists isn't  that high, so you do send a few more
mails over the net,  but I'd say it's less than twice  more for your typical
list.

I'd easily trade the above for perfect bounce processing like ezmlm does :-)

That said, it's more work than a quick trivial patch to mailman.

Marc