[Mailman-Users] Wish: Change address.

Dan Mick dmick at utopia.west.sun.com
Wed Feb 7 00:34:08 CET 2001

> "How do I change my subscription address" is about the only question
> from users concerning mailman's interface so far, which is why I've
> dared to forward it to this mailing list.

I'd be willing to be I hear something about "why do we need a
password to unsub" about five times as often.

> Your opinions about
> users' butts, on the other hand, seem to be rather irrelevant to
> this list - but then again, I might be entirely wrong about what is
> relevant or appropriate on a list for the users of some particular
> mailing list management software.

As might I.  Glad we've got the whole absolute-relevance
thing straight. ;)

> > IMO, there are more-pressing problems, but obviously opinions
> > differ.
>
> Guess why I wrote "wish" (like "please put this onto your wishlist")
> in the subject, not "bug" (like "please fix this asap").

Well, of course.  Wishlist items are prioritized too, of course.
Given how often someone has to change an email address, I would
think this remains way way down there.

> While we are on the topic of real bugs, here is one: The RFC2047
> parser in pipermail seems to fail globally under certain
> circumstances.  More precisely, archive indexes where only few
> messages are using RFC2047's encoding are fine, but indexes with
> more messages just contain the raw, encoded material - for all
> messages.  Bad enough, I have not been able to identify a more
> precise pattern, yet.
>
> Additionally, it seems that - when it works - the RFC2047 parser
> used by pipermail doesn't handle adjacent encoded words correctly:
> Something like
>
> 	=?iso-8859-1?Q?=C4?= =?iso-8859-1?Q?ae?=
>
> should be decoded to "Äae" (without any space in between), and not
> to "Ä ae" (what mailman's parser seems to do).

Yeah.  2.1 has a lot of I18N stuff going in that may make this a lot
better; it's well underway.  But you might want to submit this at
Sourceforge if it's not already there.