[Mailman-Users] Preferred order for updating Python & Mailman? Was -- Re: Prepping for MM2.1

Mitchell Marks mitchell at walrus.uchicago.edu
Wed Jul 25 18:07:00 CEST 2001

In the next week or two, I'd like to upgrade to current versions of both
Python and Mailman -- or maybe wait a little longer if that would mean MM
2.1 would be available.   Now Python is 1.5.2, Mailman is, um, well,
1.0.  Our main use of Python is for Mailman, but we do have a couple things
in Zope that we'd rather not break, given a choice.

Is there a better order for which one to update first and which after?

I've been assuming the right update order would be Python first, then
Mailman  -- on some pretty vague reasoning having to do with Python
probably being a little trickier, and with avoiding re-installing Mailman
extra times.  But BAW's reply below mentions warnings in a context that
sounds like issues between Py 2.1 and even slightly earlier MM.  Is my very
early MM going to have an even harder time dealing with an up-to-date
Python?  Does this argue for doing the following?

         -- MM 2.05 now
         -- Py 2.1
         -- Re-compile / re-install MM 2.05 for that Py
         -- At leisure come back to this for MM 2.1

Thanks for your advice,

Mitch Marks

--
Mitchell Marks
CUIP Tech Coordinator    http://cuip.uchicago.edu

Telephone:  Ofc 773-702-6041
         Fax 702-8212
         Home (v.m. only, ok any time) 241-7166
Email: Primary address: mitch at cuip.uchicago.edu
         Alternate UofC addresses (use especially to report problems with
cuip.uchicago.edu): mitchell at cs.uchicago.edu and mmar at midway.uchicago.edu
         Off-campus (ISP) address: mmarks at corecomm.net

They went to Schenectady to meet a Menominee ... figuratively speaking, of
course.