[Mailman-Users] 3rd REPOST: File Ownerships

Dan Mick dmick at utopia.west.sun.com
Fri Mar 9 02:00:57 CET 2001

> 	My mailman installation has all of the files owned by mailman.mailman,
> however when you log in through the admin interface, it'll blow up
> saying that it doesn't have permission to access the request.db and t he
> only way to fix that is to change the ownership to the httpd daemon
> (httpd.daemon).

What says "that's the only way to fix that"?

> However, what the checkdb crontab runs, it blows up
> because that same file is not owned by mailman.mailman.

How do you know it's because it's not mailman.mailman?  How do
you know it's not "because it's not *.mailman"?

> What gives?

I dunno.  My request.db:

-rw-rw-r--   1 nobody   mailman        2 Mar  8 17:00 request.db

check_perms has no problem with it; neither does my webserver, which
runs as "nobody"; neither do the CGI scripts.