[Mailman-Users] List configuration options, available now or not?

JC Dill mailman at vo.cnchost.com
Fri Mar 30 22:22:18 CEST 2001

On 11:05 AM 3/30/01, Ron Echeverri wrote:

 >I disagree.  Since we can't control spammers, perhaps we should simply
 >control ourselves, and instead of complaining about the spam, we
 >should simply delete it.  I'm sure Barry is doing all he can to limit
 >the influx of crap, but there's little he can do about people whining.

As people who setup and manage mailing lists and mailing list servers and
email servers, keeping spam off the lists *we setup* for our users is part
of our job.  That's why discussing this issue IS useful, it gets tools made
that automate that job, which is why we have mailing list software (like
mailman, like majordomo) in the first place.  This list is merely an
example.  Keeping spam off this particular list isn't nearly as important
as being able to keep spam off similar lists, and determining if this can
be easily done with mailman or not.

I keep bringing up this list merely because it seems to be pity that the
list server software authors don't care more about configuring their OWN
list to meet what I consider minimum list configuration requirements.

Perhaps that was a mistake, because I'm not nearly as concerned with the
setup of this particular list as I am with whether I can configure mailman
to setup MY lists the way I want them.  So far, none of my questions on
this topic have been addressed by other subscribers of this list or by the
software authors.

I have 2 outstanding questions about mailman configuration options:

1)  Does mailman have a configuration setting such that everyone who is
subscribed to a list can post unmoderated, but email from a non-subscriber
will be sent to a moderator for approval?

Yes or No?

To let some non-subscribers post without moderation (a practice that I
personally feel has dubious value, since their question might be answered
in a post to the list, perhaps in response to someone else asking the same
question, but they won't see it because they aren't subscribed), how about
implementing simple filter so that if a non-subscriber's post mentions one
or more keywords, let it through to the list unmoderated, otherwise it goes
to the moderator?

Is this currently available, or not?

2)  Is [content filtering on the headers or body, to block messages that
are in reply to an entire digest] possible with mailman?  Before I move my
majordomo list to a new server with new mailing list software (mailman is
the software I'm considering, obviously), it is a requirement that I can
configure that software to do the same things I can currently easily do
with majordomo.  I don't want to waste my time trying to futz around with
installing and configuring mailman before I learn that it won't let me do
some of the critical things I need it to do.

Is this available, or not?

jc

--
Real courtesy requires human effort and understanding.
Never let your machine or your habit send courtesy copies.