[Mailman-Users] List configuration options, available now or not?

Steve Pirk orion at deathcon.com
Fri Mar 30 23:58:48 CEST 2001

Steve
orion at deathcon.com Owner/Admin
deathcon.com - pirk.com
webops.com - disclaimer.com
--

On Fri, 30 Mar 2001, JC Dill wrote:

> I have 2 outstanding questions about mailman configuration options:
>
> 1)  Does mailman have a configuration setting such that everyone who is
> subscribed to a list can post unmoderated, but email from a non-subscriber
> will be sent to a moderator for approval?
>
> Yes or No?

Yes. The settings are (these *may* be overkill :-):
Privacy Options:
Advertise this list when people ask what lists are on this machine? NO
What steps are required for subscription? Confirm
Who can view subscription list? List Members
Show member addrs so they're not directly recognizable as email addrs? Yes
Must posts be approved by an administrator? No
Restrict posting privilege to list members? (member_posting_only) YES

These basic settings will keep the list private, and *any* posts by
a non-member go to the moderator (owner) for approval.

> To let some non-subscribers post without moderation (a practice that I
> personally feel has dubious value, since their question might be answered
> in a post to the list, perhaps in response to someone else asking the same
> question, but they won't see it because they aren't subscribed), how about
> implementing simple filter so that if a non-subscriber's post mentions one
> or more keywords, let it through to the list unmoderated, otherwise it goes
> to the moderator?
>
> Is this currently available, or not?

Check the "RegX" settings at the bottom of the privacy options.

> 2)  Is [content filtering on the headers or body, to block messages that
> are in reply to an entire digest] possible with mailman?  Before I move my
> majordomo list to a new server with new mailing list software (mailman is
> the software I'm considering, obviously), it is a requirement that I can
> configure that software to do the same things I can currently easily do
> with majordomo.  I don't want to waste my time trying to futz around with
> installing and configuring mailman before I learn that it won't let me do
> some of the critical things I need it to do.
>
> Is this available, or not?

Not sure, but some people have written extra filters to do things like
this. I think a search of the archives might be the only answer.